Test your perspective, just for fun
Answer the following questions as they relate to the perspective of these founding fathers of our country: Washington, Adams, Jefferson and Franklin:
- In regard to their spiritual convictions they considered themselves: a) Protestants b) Atheists c) Agnostics d) Christians e) Deists
- In regard to their attitude concerning the two party political system: a) It is the best system b) they all expressed serious concerns about the long term viability and potential harm to the country c) there was no agreement on this issue.
- In regard to their attitude about the Electoral College: a) It is the best system and they saw no issues b) They all expressed concerns about the long term viability, most especially Jefferson c) There was no consensus on this issue.
- The national debt represents all that tax payers owe beyond their annual tax payments: a) Yes b) No, tax payers also must fund the unfunded liabilities for social security, Medicare, Medicaid & others. These debts currently amount to over $ 100 trillion
- The national debt tends to rise more then: a) A Democratically controlled government b) A Republican controlled government c) it rises significantly when both parties are in control & recently a bit more when Republicans are in control
- Which of the founding fathers were strong supporters of the two party system: a) Washington b) Jefferson c) Adams d) None of the above
- Which of the following is true with respect to the founding fathers: a) They had careers and other interests that dominated their lives b) They did not consider themselves career politicians. At the time there was no consideration given to term limits as their services took time away from their other concerns and was self-regulated. c) They had an amazing command of the language regardless of the amount of their formal education. d) They opposed slavery, though Jefferson tended towards hypocrisy on this issue. e) Emphasized tolerance of all religious dogmas, supported the moral teachings of Jesus as well as accepting many of the Deist concepts. f) Did not agree on the role of the Central Government…. There was then, as today, much debate on this issue. g) All of the above
- Which of the following is not true: a) 19 percent of federal employees earned salaries of $100,000 or more in 2009. b) The average federal worker’s pay was $71,208 compared with $40,331 in the private sector. c) In 2010, there were 82,034 workers, 3.9% of the federal workforce, making more than $150,000 annually, compared to 7,240 in 2005 d) the average annual wage in the private sector is just a bit over $43,000 e) none of the above
Answers: 9. b) All had serious concerns 10. b) All had concerns 11. b) All had concerns 12. b) No, also the unfunded liabilities 13. c) Both Parties are guilty 14. d) None of the above 15. g) All of the above 16. d) Private sector wages average just over $43,000 per year (as of 2015).
If you missed 2 or fewer then you did very well on this. If you missed more you might want to become better informed. Check out the current and past blog posts at www.sohiessoapbox.com