Chapter 64 US Patriots
My opinion is that the two-Party system has overrun its course and the time for a change is overdue. President Washington was not only a visionary, but also a skilled orator.
The following is a direct quote from one of his speeches: “There is an opinion that parties in free countries are useful checks upon the administration of the government, and serve to keep alive the spirit of liberty. This, within certain limits, is probably true; and in governments of a monarchical cast patriotism may look with indulgence, if not with favour, upon the spirit of party: but, in those of the popular character, in governments purely elective, it is a spirit not to be encouraged. From their natural tendency, it is certain there will always be enough of that spirit for every salutary purpose. And there being constant danger of excess, the effort ought to be, by force of public opinion, to mitigate and assuage it. A fire not to be quenched, it demands a uniform vigilance to prevent its bursting into a flame, lest, instead of warming, it should consume.”
My view of the US Patriots movement is proposed not as another political party, but as alternative open to any and all Party members as well as independent thinkers. In order for citizen patriots to take back our country a political revolution is required. The idea would be to support any candidate that agrees to support the following twelve revolutionary principles:
I agree to actively support the following improvements for establishing our democracy:
- Our elected: Career politicians will no longer be tolerated. Service to the country will be just that, “service”, and not a path to wealth. I will support all legislation and/or Constitutional Amendments in support of this, including term limits.
- Our election process (a): In the future, the impact of special interests on national election outcomes will be eliminated. I will support legislation that severely limits both campaign donations & spending and includes extremely severe consequences for violators.
- Our election process (b): In the future, campaigning for national positions will be limited to the 90-day period prior to the election day for Congress persons and 180 days for Senators & the Presidency. I will support this and any other legislation that moves our process in this direction.
- Special Interest Lobbying: Recognizing that the lobbying rules, established in 1946, are woefully inadequate I will support any legislation that severely curtails this activity.
- Healthcare Reform: Recognizing that our Healthcare System is broken I will support reform legislation that is based on other more successful, lower cost systems that are providing a superior level of care. Example of these systems are in operation in France, Italy, Spain, Japan and several other countries.
- Federal Spending: I will support legislation that requires an annual balanced budget with severe consequences for non-compliance by our representatives.
- Elected Representation benefits: I will support legislation that requires all elected national officials to be subject to the same healthcare program as the electorate and to abide by the standard civil service retirement plan.
- Individual Health Responsibility: I will support legislation that takes into account risk factors for both health system contributions and subsidies. Examples of risk factors would be smoking, obesity, etc.
- Government Employee Compensation: Recognizing that government employees make over 50% more in compensation than their counterparts in the private sector I will support legislation that requires for this inequity to be brought into balance in no more than a ten-year transition period.
- Income Security: I will support legislation that requires all income assistance recipients (primarily disability & welfare) to make a defined service contribution to the government in order to receive compensation. This will take some creativity, but such a process is possible and necessary.
- Dependent Compensation: I will support legislation that limits additional compensation and/or tax deductions to two children. Taxpayers should not financially subsidize large families.
- Energy independence: Recognizing that the US has the highest per capita fossil fuel dependence per capita among the 20 most populace countries. Also recognizing that of these, the European countries per capita dependence is only about 40% of our country. I will support legislation that provides assistance and incentives to drastically lessen our dependence on fossil fuels. This is more than an environmental issue. Looking longer term it will be considered a national security issue.