I’ve been programmed, how
I am reminded of the lyrics from a song by one of my favorite musical
groups, Pink Floyd. Another Brick in the Wall (part II) written by Roger
“We don’t need no education
We don’t need no thought control
No dark sarcasm in the classroom
Teachers leave them kids alone
Hey! Teachers! Leave them kids alone!
All in all it’s just another brick in the wall.
All in all you’re just another brick in the wall.
………………………………….Wrong, Do it again!
If you don’t eat yer meat, you can’t have any pudding. How can you
have any pudding if you don’t eat yer meat?”
programming was gained initially through participation in a military family,
parents that grew up in the South, exposure to a maternal grandfather that was
a staunch racist, a paternal grandmother that was not and 10 years of Catholic
school education complete with required catechism classes. My programming was
further enhanced via two years of “public” high school and five years of social
(and sometime academic) exposure at University. Programming continued through
four years as an Air Force Officer, twenty years in senior management with
several firms and finally a decade plus in the accommodation industry both in
the US and in New Zealand. More recently my programming has been modified
through participation with a variety of community volunteer groups.
retrospect I question how much wisdom was gained despite the massive amount of
information exposure that occurred? In my “formative” years “I liked Ike” and a
bit later I wanted to “ask what I could do for my country”. During University I
moved a bit further to the left in my thinking. While in the Air Force I
reversed course moving back in the “right” direction. As a senior manager, then
executive and accommodation entrepreneur I continued to proceed further to the
right. During the last decade, via my volunteer participation, my views have
moderated and moved back closer to the political center.
What I now realize is that most of my view has been “influenced” by both others and by the responsibility of the various money producing positions that I held. I wonder if I really have any views that are truly my own? I find that doing my own research on a variety of topics has been very satisfying. It has been extremely difficult to set my past programming aside and I find it an ongoing struggle. My key is to ask myself what is the basis of my current view. What is the source of my information? Is it backed up by other sources? Can I say for certain that I am in touch with the facts? How much of my view is based on a belief system? Am I just another brick in the wall?
This post’s intent is to thank all of my subscribers for their participation. After three years in virtual obscurity about 10 days a the blog passed 200 subscribers! This achievement is entirely due to current subscribers recommending the blog to others. Thank you very much!
I thought it might be interesting to review the topics that have been posted over the past three plus years and which are still available on the site:
- Our broken system for electing representation and alternatives
- Our health care system and alternatives
- Gov’t funding for health education, why it is not working
- Overweight & obesity & a solution
- Not all Calories are created equal & the low/no fat myth.
- A case for Term limits and why they will likely never be implemented
- The Electoral College is it still relevant?
- The two-party system, the gangs of DC, and how they work together, but not for the common good
- The national debt, personal debt & scary unfunded federal obligations.
- Solutions to balancing the Federal Budget
- Distribution of taxes paid, who pays?
- You owe back taxes, why pay?
- The founders of our Democratic Republic, some interesting facts
- Let’s bash the President!
- The Cult of Government Bureaucracy
- Our insane federal tax code
- Interest rate on the debt. It is low and is that good?
- Unemployment: Official vs. Reality
- Our elected representatives play by different rules, why?
- Our wasteful and unfair election process (revisiting topic #1)
- Life skills and the need to incorporate them early into the educational curriculum
- Incarcerations, prisons, the tax payer rip-off & a low cost alternative A
- All-natural foods are healthy and great, but can lower income folks afford them? Healthy alternatives.
- High frequency traders, bank and broker facilitators and how they rip off the small investor
- A relationship among lower incomes, cigarette smoking, the lotto & fast food
- Belief Systems: The good, the not so good & the ugly
- We are so smart, aren’t we? (our changing knowledge base)
- The price of petrol is very low in the US, the good news and the not so good news
- Guns, guns and more guns!
- News or Agenda – CNN, Fox, Aljazeera
- Reality shows – from Wrestling to Springer to ….
- History of man, what do we really know?
- Auto Insurance the way I figure it could be free!
- The metric system and currency
- Civilization, did it commence 6,000 years ago?
- Nikola Tesla – the unappreciated prophet.
- Sophie’s Believe it or not!
- Just for fun – Aliens among us
- Just for fun – The Universe
- Accountability & Reputation
- Do I really have to pay for this?
- Just for fun, my favorite apps
- Test your perspective, just for fun
- America, the world’s cop
- High speed cop car chases, are they worth it?
- Prescription Drugs – why do we subsidize the rest of the world?
- Overused and abused expressions that make little or no sense:
- Currency, does ours make sense?
- Distribution of Taxes, revisited
- The Outrageous cost of Advanced Education
- Amending our system: Issues & Solutions
- Just for fun: Area 51 (site S-4)
- The Important Issues & polarization (opinion)
- Ancient Ancestors & Current Aliens (just for fun)
- Searching for Balance
- Polarization & Control
- Should taxpayers be concerned by our National Debt?
- Our Neighborhood in Space (just for fun)
- NPC (Not Politically Correct)
- Alien Contact (Just for Fun)
- Violence in America
- Violence and Incarceration
- Health Care revisited
- US Patriots Initiative
- Path to a Balanced Budget
- Follow on to Articles 1 -3, 4 & 7 of the US Patriots Initiatives – The Elect
- Tax & Spend vs. Reducing Taxes
- Judge Roy Moore
- New Tax Bill & the Debt Disaster
- Divide & Conquer
- Belief systems revisited
- Education Revisited
- The Illusion of Substance (Just for Fun)
- 74. The Wall
- 75. Politics as Usual
- 76. The 2nd Amendment (2)
- 77. China: Communism or Capitalism
- 78. Ban Guns, surely you Jest
- 79. Our National Debt – Update
- The real top 5 unexplained (just for fun)
- We’re number 1
- The Wall
- Go forth and Populate the Earth
- Polarization & control – revisited
- Upstream vs. Downstream – Illegal immigration
- Upstream vs. Downstream – Healthcare
- My Misinformation
- Polarization and solutions
- Two Americans in Europe
- Observations while traveling in Europe
- The Price of Medication
- You get what you pay for
- Kit Kat (a travel story)
- The Big Bang & common sense
- Your immune system
- A replacement for #3 in my top 5 unexplained
- More on Political Polarization
- Keynes vs. Friedman
- Name Nonsense – Just for fun
- Great Teachers – Life Lessons
- Healthcare Costs & the Budget Deficit
- Renewable Ener
- The Obesity Epidemic Revisit
- When a tax cut is not?
- When is a tax increase not?
- Hidden taxes
- Life Expectancy vs HALE
- Moussa Castle
- Military Spending
- The Electoral College